Vodafone offers 5G coverage in 100 UK towns and cities. You can access 5G on phones like the iPhone 12, with 5G SIM cards available from £11/month.
In the UK, Vodafone currently offers 5G coverage in 100 towns and cities. 5G coverage is also available in a further 193 towns and cities across Europe. Vodafone’s 5G network is compatible with a range of devices including the iPhone 12 and the Samsung Galaxy S20 5G.
If you have a 5G-ready phone, you can access 5G at no extra cost on Vodafone Red plans with at least 5GB of data and on Vodafone Unlimited plans. You can also get a Vodafone 5G SIM-only deal from £11/month.
The following table shows the key things to know about 5G coverage on Vodafone:
|Vodafone 5G Coverage:||100 UK towns & cities|
|5G Phones:||Apple iPhone 12, Samsung Galaxy S20 5G and 27 more|
|5G SIM Cards:||From £11/month|
|5G Speed:||150-200Mbps average download speed|
|5G Plan Features:|
|Other Coverage:||99% population coverage on 2G, 3G & 4G|
Vodafone 5G Coverage Map
5G Towns & Cities
At present, Vodafone offers 5G coverage in a total of 100 UK towns and cities. You can see them by zooming in on the map above. Alternatively, the full list of locations is shown below:
- East Midlands 1 location now live on 5G
- London 1 location now live on 5G
- North East England 17 locations now live on 5G
- North Shields
- South Shields
- Whitley Bay
- North West England 26 locations now live on 5G
- Warrington plus upcoming 5G launch planned in Blackpool
- Northern Ireland 3 locations now live on 5G
- Scotland 10 locations now live on 5G
- South East England 7 locations now live on 5G
- South West England 8 locations now live on 5G
- Isle of Scilly
- Wales 5 locations now live on 5G
- Dinas Powys
- West Midlands 7 locations now live on 5G
- Sutton Coldfield
- Yorkshire & The Humber 13 locations now live on 5G
- Eston and South Bank
You can also access 5G coverage when roaming in 193 towns and cities across Europe (in Germany, Spain, Italy and the Republic of Ireland). A full list of European locations can be found here.
5G Smartphones From Vodafone
To access 5G coverage on Vodafone, you’ll need to have a mobile phone that supports 5G networks.
The following 5G-ready phones are available to buy from Vodafone:
- Apple iPhone 12
- Apple iPhone 12 Mini
- Apple iPhone 12 Pro
- Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max
- Google Pixel 4a 5G
- Google Pixel 5
- Huawei P40 Lite 5G
- Huawei P40 Pro 5G
- Motorola Moto 5G Plus
- Motorola Razr 5G
- Nokia 8.3 5G
- Oppo Find X2 Lite
- Oppo Find X2 Pro
- Oppo Reno4 Pro 5G
- Samsung Galaxy A42 5G
- Samsung Galaxy A51 5G
- Samsung Galaxy Note20 5G
- Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G
- Samsung Galaxy S20 5G
- Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G
- Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G
- Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G
- Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5G
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G
- Sony Xperia 1 II
- Sony Xperia 5 II 5G
- Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite 5G
- Xiaomi Mi 10T Pro 5G
- Xiaomi Mi MIX 3 5G
All of Vodafone’s 5G-ready phones are available to buy on a choice of 5G-ready plans, including Vodafone Red and Vodafone Unlimited. For more information, see the Vodafone website.
5G SIM Only Deals
If you have your own 5G-ready phone that you want to use on Vodafone, it’s possible to get a 5G SIM-only deal from £11/month.
There are two types of 5G SIM-only plan on Vodafone:
- Vodafone Red: Includes 5G coverage on SIM cards with at least 5GB data. Comes with a 5G-ready data allowance of up to 160GB per month and uncapped download speeds.
- Vodafone Unlimited: Unlimited data with 5G coverage at a range of different download speeds. Get the Unlimited Max plan for the fastest available speeds, or choose the cheaper Unlimited plan (10Mbps download speed) or Unlimited Lite plan (2Mbps download speed).
The following table shows Vodafone’s 5G-ready SIM cards:
If you choose the Unlimited Max plan which is available from £30/month, you’ll also get inclusive roaming in 81 destinations as part of Vodafone Global Roaming Plus.
5G Download Speeds
According to Vodafone, you can expect average download speeds of 150-200Mbps on their 5G network. This is around five to ten times faster than Vodafone’s 4G network which has an average download speed of 23-35Mbps. In some cases, peak download speeds on 5G can even exceed 1Gbps (1,000Mbps).
When using 5G coverage on Vodafone, you’ll also benefit from greater network capacity and lower amounts of latency.
In September 2020, Vodafone was named the best 5G network in London by umlaut, a mobile network benchmarking company. According to their report, Vodafone’s 5G network gave an average download speed of 215.2Mbps in the capital, with higher reliability than other 5G networks.
5G Network Bands
Vodafone’s 5G network uses band n78 5G spectrum (3500MHz). If you’re using a mobile phone that was purchased outside the UK, you should ensure it supports 5G coverage at band n78.
Alongside their 5G coverage, Vodafone also offers 2G, 3G and 4G coverage across the UK. This uses the following bands and frequencies:
|Vodafone Coverage Type||Supported Bands & Frequencies|
For more information, see our guide to Vodafone’s network and coverage.
For more information about Vodafone 5G, see Vodafone’s official website.