On some UK networks, you’ll pay up to £2.29/day to use your mobile phone in Europe. Find out how much your mobile network charges for EU roaming.
If you’re travelling to another European country (including France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Spain or Portugal), you might need to pay an additional fee for using your mobile phone abroad. Depending on your mobile network, it can cost you up to £2.29 per day to use your mobile phone in Europe.
In this article, we’ll look at the costs of using your mobile phone abroad in Europe, along with the coverage available and the fair usage limit on data. We’ll also look at the best SIM cards for European roaming, allowing you to use your mobile phone in Europe from just £0.99 per month.
|Best EU Roaming SIM Card:||Lyca Mobile (UK-based SIM)|
|Compatibility:||Works with most unlocked smartphones (including iPhone & Android)|
|Free SIM Card:||Get Lyca Mobile SIM (from £0.99 per month) →|
EU Roaming: By Mobile Network
As of November 2023, most of the major UK mobile networks will now charge you extra for using your mobile phone in Europe.
Depending on your UK mobile network, you could be charged up to £2.29 per day when you use your mobile phone in Europe. This is equivalent to £16 if you’re travelling abroad to Europe for one week.
Some UK mobile networks continue to offer free European roaming. As you can get a one-month SIM card from just £0.99 with no contract and no credit check, this can be a good way to save money on your trip abroad on your trip abroad to the EU.
The following table shows the cost of EU roaming on each UK network, along with the coverage available and the fair usage limit for data:
|Network||European Roaming Cost||Roaming Coverage||Fair Use Limit For Data|
|ASDA Mobile||No extra cost||4G & 5G||5GB per month|
|BT Mobile||No extra cost||4G||15GB per month|
|EE||£2.29 per day1||4G & 5G||50GB per month|
|giffgaff||No extra cost||4G||5GB per month|
|O2||No extra cost||4G & 5G||25GB per month|
|iD Mobile||No extra cost||4G||Plan dependent – check here|
|Lebara Mobile||No extra cost||4G||30GB per month|
|Lyca Mobile||No extra cost||4G||Plan dependent – check here|
|SMARTY||No extra cost||4G||12GB per month|
|Sky Mobile||£2 per day||4G||–|
|Talkmobile||No extra cost||4G & 5G||5GB per month|
|Tesco Mobile||No extra cost2||4G||–|
|Three||£2 per day3||4G||12GB per month|
|Virgin Mobile||No extra cost||4G & 5G||Plan dependent – check here|
|Vodafone||£2.25 per day4||4G & 5G||25GB per month|
|VOXI||£1 – £2.25 per day5||4G & 5G||20GB per month|
When you use your mobile phone in Europe, this will be subject to a fair use limit, depending on the plan and mobile network you have. Each month, you’ll be able to use up to your UK plan allowance or up to the fair use limit, whichever is lower. Over a 4-month period, you’ll also need to spend the majority of your time inside the UK (this is normally measured as 61 days over a rolling 120-day period).
- EE: On EE, you’ll pay £2.29 per day to use your mobile phone in Europe, unless you have the Roam Abroad add-on or Smart Benefit. You’ll also have free European roaming if your EE Pay Monthly plan started before the 7th July 2021.
- Tesco Mobile: In 2024, Tesco Mobile will introduce charges for roaming in Europe. This applies to all customers who joined or upgraded after the 16th June 2022.
- Three: On Three, you’ll pay £2 per day to use your mobile phone in Europe. This is unless your Three Pay Monthly plan started on or before the 30th September 2021 (if this is the case, you’ll benefit from inclusive roaming in Europe). You’ll also get inclusive roaming on Three’s Value and Complete Pay Monthly plans.
- Vodafone: On Vodafone, you’ll pay £2.25 per day to use your mobile phone in Europe. This is unless you have a Pay Monthly plan with 4 Xtra benefits, or a Pay Monthly plan taken before the 11th August 2021.
- VOXI: On VOXI, you’ll normally pay £2.25 per day to use your mobile phone in Europe. However, you can reduce this to as little as £1 per day when you buy a VOXI European Roaming Pass.
Best SIM Cards For European Roaming
If your mobile network charges you extra for European roaming, it might sometimes be worth getting a different SIM card for your trip abroad. To give an example, if your mobile network charges you £2 per day, you’ll normally need to pay £14 for a 7-day trip to Europe. This will go up to £28 for a 2-week trip and £60 for a 1-month trip.
As an alternative, consider getting a Lyca Mobile Pay As You Go SIM card. As a special offer for November 2023, you can choose from the following plans on Lyca Mobile:
for 3 months, then £4.75/month
for 3 months, then £8.50/month
for 3 months, then £7.85/month
for 12 months, then £20/month
for 6 months, then £25/month
All of these Lyca Mobile plans come with no contract and no credit check. This means you can change or cancel your plan at any time. You’ll get an inclusive allowance of data for roaming in the EU.
There are now two different ways to get a SIM card from Lyca Mobile:
- Get a Lyca Mobile eSIM for instant online delivery. If you have an eSIM-compatible phone (such as the iPhone 11, Galaxy S20, Pixel 3 and newer devices), you can order a Lyca Mobile eSIM. With the eSIM option, you simply need to scan a QR code with your phone and you’re ready to save money on your trip abroad. In most cases, you’ll also be able to use the Lyca Mobile eSIM alongside your current SIM card through dual-SIM functionality.
- Get a physical SIM card in the post. If you choose a physical SIM card, this will be sent out to you through the post. You can expect it to take up to 5 working days for the SIM card to arrive (though it will normally arrive faster than that). A physical SIM card will work inside any unlocked mobile phone (there’s no need to have an eSIM-ready phone).
If you’re also travelling to Turkey, Lyca Mobile has an AloTurka SIM card that gives you inclusive roaming in Turkey as well as the EU.
European Roaming Destinations
Most European roaming offers will work in the following EU destinations:
- Czech Republic
- Republic of Ireland
In some cases, you may also be able to use the offer in Guernsey, the Isle of Man, Jersey, Monaco and Switzerland. However, these additional destinations can vary on a network-by-network basis so you should check the exact destinations covered by your network.
For more information about the costs of using your mobile phone abroad, please refer to mobile network’s official website. You can also read our in-depth guide to international roaming.