On some UK networks, you’ll need to pay up to £2/day to use your phone in Europe. Find out how much your mobile network will charge for EU roaming.
If you’re travelling to another European country (including France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Spain or Portugal), you might need to pay an additional fee for using your mobile phone abroad. Depending on your mobile network, it can cost up to £2 per day to use your phone in Europe.
In this article, we’ll look at the costs of using your mobile phone abroad in Europe, along with the coverage available and the fair usage limit on data. We’ll also look at the best SIM cards for European roaming, allowing you to use your mobile phone abroad from only £2.50 per month.
|Best EU Roaming SIM Card:||Lebara Mobile (UK-based SIM)|
(includes 3 months half price with the KEN3 voucher code)
|Compatibility:||Works with most unlocked smartphones (including iPhone & Android)|
|Free SIM Card:||Get Lebara Mobile SIM (from £2.50 per month) →|
EU Roaming: By Mobile Network
Until January 2022, all UK mobile networks offered roaming in Europe at no extra cost. Since then, a number of UK mobile networks have started reintroducing roaming charges in Europe and it’s now possible you’ll need to pay up to £2 extra each day.
The following table shows the cost of EU roaming on each UK network, along with the coverage abroad and the fair usage limit for data:
|Network||European Roaming Cost||Roaming Coverage||Fair Use Limit For Data|
|ASDA Mobile||No extra cost||4G & 5G||5GB per month|
|BT Mobile||No extra cost||4G||50GB per month|
|EE||£2 per day1||4G||50GB per month|
|giffgaff||No extra cost||4G||5GB per month|
|O2||No extra cost||4G||25GB per month|
|iD Mobile||No extra cost||4G||Plan dependent – check here|
|Lebara Mobile||No extra cost||4G||30GB per month|
|SMARTY||No extra cost||4G||12GB per month|
|Sky Mobile||£2 per day||4G||–|
|Talkmobile||No extra cost||4G & 5G||15GB per month|
|Tesco Mobile||No extra cost2||4G||–|
|Three||£2 per day3||4G||12GB per month|
|Virgin Mobile||No extra cost||4G||Plan dependent – check here|
|Vodafone||£2 per day4||4G & 5G||25GB per month|
|VOXI||£1 – £2 per day5||4G & 5G||20GB per month|
If you’re looking for the ability to use 5G when you travel abroad, this is currently available on ASDA Mobile, Talkmobile, Vodafone and VOXI. If you’re using a SIM card from one of those four providers, you’ll be able to access 5G roaming in Germany, Italy, Spain and the Republic of Ireland.
Your mobile data usage in Europe will be subject to a fair use limit. This limit is between 5GB and 50GB per month, depending on your mobile network. Each month, you’ll be able to use up to your UK plan data allowance or up to the fair use limit, whichever is lower. You’ll also need to spend the majority of your time inside the UK (normally measured as 61 days over a 120-day period).
- EE: On EE, you’ll pay £2 per day to use your mobile phone in Europe, unless you have the Roam Abroad add-on or Smart Benefit. You’ll also have access to free European roaming if your EE Pay Monthly plan started before the 7th July 2021.
- Tesco Mobile: From the 1st January 2023, Tesco Mobile will introduce charges for roaming in Europe. This applies to all customers who joined or upgraded after the 16th June 2022.
- Three: On Three, you’ll pay £2 per day to use your mobile phone in Europe. This is unless your Three Pay Monthly plan started on or before the 30th September 2021 (if this is the case, you’ll benefit from inclusive roaming in Europe). You’ll also get inclusive roaming on Three’s Pay As You Go plans.
- Vodafone: On Vodafone, you’ll pay £2 per day to use your mobile phone in Europe. This is unless you have a Pay Monthly plan with 4 Xtra benefits, or a Pay Monthly plan taken before the 11th August 2021. Roaming isn’t available on Vodafone Basics plans.
- VOXI: On VOXI, you’ll normally pay £2 per day to use your mobile phone in Europe. However, you can reduce this to as little as £1 per day when buying a VOXI European Roaming Pass.
Best SIM Cards For European Roaming
If your mobile network charges you for European roaming, it might sometimes be worth picking up a different SIM card for your trip abroad. For instance, if your mobile network charges £2 per day, you’ll normally need to pay £14 for a 7-day trip to Europe. This will go up to £28 for a 2-week trip and £60 for a 1-month trip.
As an alternative, consider getting something like Lebara's £2.50 SIM with 3GB of data (this includes 3 months half price when you use the KEN3 voucher code at checkout). On Lebara, you’ll get inclusive roaming in 41 European destinations so you can use your mobile phone in Europe from as little as £2.50 for an entire month.
Lebara offers a Pay As You Go service with no contract, no credit check and no commitment. This means you can cancel at any time. You can use the following plans abroad in Europe from £2.50 per month:
for 3 months, then £5/month
for 3 months, then £6/month
for 3 months, then £7/month
for 3 months, then £9/month
for 3 months, then £15/month
You’ll need to enter KEN3 as your voucher code at checkout to get 3 months half price. This is a special offer for January 2023.
European Roaming Destinations
Most European roaming offers will work in the following EU destinations:
- Czech Republic
- Republic of Ireland
In some cases, you may also be able to use the offer in Guernsey, the Isle of Man, Jersey, Monaco and Switzerland. However, these additional destinations can vary on a network-by-network basis so you should check the exact destinations covered by your network.
For more information about the costs of using your mobile phone abroad, please refer to mobile network’s official website. You can also read our in-depth guide to international roaming.