Switching from ASDA Mobile to O2? It's a straightforward process to keep your existing phone number.
Step 1: Get a PAC Code from ASDA Mobile
If you’d like to move your phone number from ASDA Mobile to O2, the first step is getting your Porting Authorisation Code (or PAC Code) from ASDA Mobile.
There are three ways to get a PAC Code from ASDA Mobile:
- Online: You can get a PAC Code from ASDA Mobile by logging in to the ASDA Mobile website.
- By Text Message: You can get an ASDA Mobile PAC Code sent to you via SMS text message. Text PAC to 65075 to receive a PAC Code from ASDA Mobile.
- By Phone: You can get a PAC Code by calling ASDA Mobile. To do this, call them on 2732 using your ASDA Mobile handset. Alternatively, dial 0808 006 2732 from any other phone. You'll need to call during ASDA Mobile's opening hours (Monday-Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday 9am-5.45pm, Sunday 10am-4.45pm).
Here are some key things to know:
- A PAC Code is 9 digits long and follows the format ABC 123 456.
- Your PAC Code is valid for 30 days. If you don't use it during this time, the PAC Code will expire and you'll need to request a new one.
- You shouldn't close your account at ASDA Mobile: it'll be closed automatically when your phone number is transferred to O2.
Don’t want to keep your ASDA Mobile phone number? You can switch to O2 without taking your phone number with you. If you'd like to do this, get a STAC Code from ASDA Mobile instead.
ASDA Mobile STAC Code (Leave ASDA Mobile Without Keeping Your Number)
If you’d like to leave ASDA Mobile without keeping your phone number, you’ll need to request a STAC Code rather than a PAC Code. There are three ways to get a STAC Code from ASDA Mobile:
- Online: You can get a STAC Code from ASDA Mobile by logging in to the ASDA Mobile website.
- By Text Message: You can get an ASDA Mobile STAC Code sent to you via SMS text message. Text STAC to 75075 to receive a STAC Code from ASDA Mobile.
- By Phone: You can get a STAC Code by calling ASDA Mobile. Call them on 2732 using your ASDA Mobile handset. Alternatively, dial 0808 006 2732 from any other phone. You'll need to call during ASDA Mobile's opening hours (Monday-Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday 9am-5.45pm, Sunday 10am-4.45pm).
Once you’ve gotten your STAC Code from ASDA Mobile, the rest of the process for joining O2 remains the same.
Step 2: Order your new phone or SIM card from O2's website
You should now order your new phone or SIM card using the O2 website. Please select the type of tariff you're intending to move to:
If you're looking for a SIM card from O2, the following deals are currently most popular:
For a full list of available tariffs and the latest O2 deals, please refer to this page on O2's website.
Alternatively, if you're getting your O2 plan from a reseller, tap on their logo for more information:
O2 will assign you with a temporary phone number during the transition process. This will allow you to test out the service before you finally transfer your phone number to O2.
Step 3: Give the PAC Code to O2
Once your new phone or SIM card arrives from O2, switch it on and make sure everything's working properly. If, for whatever reason, you need to return or change the handset or SIM card, it's best to do this before transferring your phone number.
Once you're happy to continue with the phone number transfer, contact O2 and provide them with your PAC Code from ASDA Mobile.
Your PAC Code should be entered on O2's online form. You can also provide your PAC Code to O2 over the phone:
If you're joining O2 Pay Monthly, you can submit your PAC Code by calling 202 on your O2 handset. Alternatively, call 0344 8090202 from any other phone.
Alternatively, if you're joining O2 Pay As You Go, submit your PAC Code by calling 4445 (0344 8090222 if you're calling from another network).
If you have a STAC Code from ASDA Mobile rather than a PAC Code, this can be provided to O2 in the exact same way.
- You must provide the PAC Code to O2 within 30 days of it being issued by ASDA Mobile. If the PAC Code has already expired, you'll need to return to step 1 and request a new PAC Code from ASDA Mobile.
- ASDA Mobile Pay As You Go customers: Try to use up your remaining credit as it can't be transferred to O2.
Step 4: Phone Number Transferred (Next Working Day)
Once you've provided a PAC code to O2, your phone number transfer will normally be scheduled for the next working day (Monday to Friday only, excluding English bank holidays).
On the day of the transfer, you'll momentarily lose coverage on both mobile networks. When this happens, restart your handset on O2. You should find that the O2 phone or SIM card will now associated with your original phone number.
- If you see an error message (e.g. "SIM card registration failed"), this means it's time to restart your phone.
- Once the phone number has been transferred to O2, your account on ASDA Mobile will automatically be closed. You'll receive a final bill from ASDA Mobile for any outstanding charges.
Any Other Questions?
In case of any problems during the transfer of your phone number, you should contact your new mobile network (O2) with details of the problem.
If you have any other questions on using a PAC Code, please see my in-depth guide to transferring your phone number between networks. You can also read the comments below from other visitors to this website.