BT Mobile has added a 30-day guarantee to their SIM-only deals, with support for Ofcom’s Text To Switch so you can easily keep your phone number.
The launch of Ofcom’s text to switch legislation has made it easier than ever to keep your existing phone number when moving to another mobile network. You can now text ‘PAC’ to 65075 to get a porting authorisation code sent back to you within a minute. This then allows you to take your phone number to another network, potentially benefiting from lower rates whilst keeping your existing phone number.
BT Mobile has launched a range of new SIM-only offers that are designed to capitalise on the new ‘text to switch’ process. Customers will now get a 30-day guarantee on BT Mobile SIM cards, with the possibility of getting a full refund if you aren’t happy in the first 30 days. There is also now the option to switch your allowances every month, in addition to the inclusive Wi-Fi hotspot access and Family SIM discounts.
Ofcom’s Text To Switch
Ofcom’s new ‘text to switch’ legislation is one of the biggest changes this decade in how you move your phone number from one mobile network to another.
As of July 1st 2019, you can send a text message on any UK mobile network as follows:
- If you’d like to change mobile networks and keep your current phone number, text PAC to 65075.
- If you’d like to change mobile networks without keeping your phone number, text STAC to 75075.
- If you’d like to find out your remaining contract length and any exit fees that apply, text INFO to 85075.
It’s free to send a text message to any of the above numbers, whether you’re requesting a PAC Code, requesting a STAC code, or getting information on your remaining contract length and early exit fees.
Once you have a PAC Code or STAC Code from your old mobile network, you’ll need to give this to your new mobile network after signing up. The PAC Code or STAC Code is valid for up to 30 days once issued.
BT Mobile SIM Only Deals
Networks like BT Mobile have been trying to capitalise on the new ‘text to switch’ process and how it makes it easier to move your phone number from one network to another.
As part of this, they’ve introduced a 30-day guarantee on all BT Mobile SIM cards meaning it’s possible to get a full refund if you aren’t satisfied in the first 30 days. There’s also the flexibility to change your allowance if it isn’t suitable for your usage (e.g. moving to a price plan that has more or less data).
The following table shows BT Mobile’s current line-up of SIM-only deals. The prices shown include a £5/month discount for customers who are living in a BT Broadband household:
inc. £5 discount
inc. £5 discount
inc. £5 discount
inc. £5 discount
inc. £5 discount
If you take multiple SIM cards (e.g. for different members of your family), you’ll get a further discount through the BT Family SIM offer. With Family SIM, you can have up to 5 SIM cards attached to one BT Mobile account, with a single monthly bill and one log-in to manage all of the SIM cards.
30-Day Money Back Guarantee
BT Mobile currently offers a 30-day money back guarantee for new customers to test out their mobile network. This guarantee is available across BT Mobile’s SIM-only deals, on BT Family SIM and on BT’s data-only SIM cards.
The terms and conditions of this offer are stated on the BT Mobile website:
Buy a SIM Only, Data SIM or Family SIM plan during the offer period and you’ll get a full 30 days to try us. If you aren’t happy for any reason, just call us within 30 days of placing your order and we’ll cancel your contract and refund your first monthly plan charge. You’ll only pay for services you’ve used outside of the plan allowance. Offer limited to one SIM Only, Data SIM or Family SIM plan per customer. This offer does not apply to handset plans or plan moves.
If you’re happy with the BT Mobile service but would like to change to a plan with more or less data, this is now also possible at any time during your contract. You can change your BT Mobile plan at any time by logging in to your BT Mobile account area.
Customers signing up for a BT Mobile plan will also have access to a number of other features:
- BT Mobile Reward Cards. If you order a phone or SIM card through BT’s official website, they’ll sometimes give you a prepaid reward card to say thank you. This is a prepaid Mastercard so you can use it almost everywhere Mastercard is accepted. You’ll be sent an email with instructions on how to claim the reward card once you’ve been a BT Mobile customer for 30 days.
- Access to 5 million BT Wi-Fi hotspots. Your BT Mobile subscription gives you access to more than 5 million BT Wi-Fi hotspots in the UK. This would normally cost you £15/month if you were to pay for it as a standalone product. BT’s wi-fi hotspots can often be found in high-street coffee stores, supermarkets, department stores, banks and train stations.
- Inclusive BT Sport on your mobile (plans with 6GB data or more). If you choose a BT Mobile plan with 6GB of data or more every month, it will include access to BT Sport on your mobile. This allows you to watch live sporting action and catch-up from the Premier League, Champions League, UFC, boxing and more.
- £5/month discount for BT Broadband households. If you’re living in a household with a BT Broadband connection, you can get a £5/month discount on your BT Mobile plan. In some cases, it might make sense to switch your broadband to BT at the same time as taking a BT Mobile SIM card.
Network & Coverage
2G, 3G & 4G Coverage from EE
BT Mobile uses EE as its network coverage provider, so customers on BT Mobile will get the same coverage as customers on EE.
At the time of writing, this means BT Mobile has 99% population coverage across their 2G, 3G and 4G networks. This equates to around 90% 4G geographical coverage, with BT and EE aiming to increasing this to 95% in 2020.
To check the BT Mobile coverage in your area, enter your postcode on BT’s online coverage map:
For more information, see our in-depth guide to mobile network coverage in the UK.
5G Coverage Launch
At present, BT Mobile’s SIM-only deals won’t give you access to 5G coverage.
BT has announced that 5G coverage will be launching to customers in the Autumn, initially for those who’ve signed up for a BT Plus package. BT Plus gives you a superfast fibre broadband connection along with BT Mobile SIM cards that have a mobile data boost (double data) and BT’s Keep Connected promise.
BT will be using 5G coverage from EE when they launch their 5G service later in the Autumn. Initially, 5G coverage will be available in London, Birmingham, Manchester, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast. A further 10 cities (Bristol, Coventry, Glasgow, Hull, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Nottingham and Sheffield) should also receive 5G coverage from EE and BT before the end of the year.
For more information about BT’s SIM-only deals, please see their official website. They also have some information on how you can move to their network using the new ‘text to switch’ process from Ofcom.