Switching from Talkmobile to Three? It's a straightforward process to keep your existing phone number.
Step 1: Get a PAC Code from Talkmobile
If you’d like to move your phone number from Talkmobile to Three, the first step is getting your Porting Authorisation Code (or PAC Code) from Talkmobile.
There are three ways to get a PAC Code from Talkmobile:
- Online: You can get a PAC Code from Talkmobile by logging in to the Talkmobile account website. Once you've logged in, go to My PAC/STAC.
- By Text Message: You can get a Talkmobile PAC Code sent to you via SMS text message. Text PAC to 65075 to receive a PAC Code from Talkmobile.
- By Phone: You can get a PAC Code by calling Talkmobile. To do this, call them on 5888 using your Talkmobile handset. Alternatively, dial 0333 304 8064 from any other phone. You'll need to call during Talkmobile's opening hours (Monday-Friday 8am-7pm, Saturday 9am-6pm, Sunday 10am-5pm).
Here are some key things to know:
- A PAC Code is 9 digits long and follows the format ABC 123 456.
- Your PAC Code is valid for 30 days. If you don't use it during this time, the PAC Code will expire and you'll need to request a new one.
- You shouldn't close your account at Talkmobile: it'll be closed automatically when your phone number is transferred to Three.
Still in contract with Talkmobile? If so, you may need to pay an early exit fee on your bill from Talkmobile. To find out how much this would be, text INFO to 87075.
Don’t want to keep your Talkmobile phone number? You can switch to Three without taking your phone number with you. If you'd like to do this, get a STAC Code from Talkmobile instead.
Talkmobile STAC Code (Leave Talkmobile Without Keeping Your Number)
If you’d like to leave Talkmobile without keeping your phone number, you’ll need to request a STAC Code rather than a PAC Code. There are three ways to get a STAC Code from Talkmobile:
- Online: You can get a STAC Code from Talkmobile by logging in to the Talkmobile account website. After logging in, go to My PAC/STAC.
- By Text Message: You can get a Talkmobile STAC Code sent to you via SMS text message. Text STAC to 75075 to receive a STAC Code from Talkmobile.
- By Phone: You can get a STAC Code by calling Talkmobile. Call them on 5888 using your Talkmobile handset. Alternatively, dial 0333 304 8064 from any other phone. You'll need to call during Talkmobile's opening hours (Monday-Friday 8am-7pm, Saturday 9am-6pm, Sunday 10am-5pm).
Once you’ve gotten your STAC Code from Talkmobile, the rest of the process for joining Three remains the same.
Step 2: Order your new phone or SIM card from Three's website
You should now order your new phone or SIM card using the Three website. Please select the type of tariff you're intending to move to:
If you're looking for a SIM card from Three, the following deals from £5/month are currently most popular:
For a full list of available tariffs and the latest Three deals, please refer to this page on Three's website.
Alternatively, if you're getting your Three plan from a reseller, tap on their logo for more information:
Three will assign you with a temporary phone number during the transition process. This will allow you to test out the service before you finally transfer your phone number to Three.
Step 3: Give the PAC Code to Three
Once your new phone or SIM card arrives from Three, switch it on and make sure everything's working properly. If, for whatever reason, you need to return or change the handset or SIM card, it's best to do this before transferring your phone number.
Once you're happy to continue with the phone number transfer, contact Three and provide them with your PAC Code from Talkmobile.
Your PAC Code should be entered on Three's online form. Alternatively, you can give the PAC Code to Three by calling 333 on your Three handset. You can also call 0333 338 1001 from any other phone.
If you have a STAC Code from Talkmobile rather than a PAC Code, this can be provided to Three in the exact same way.
- You must provide the PAC Code to Three within 30 days of it being issued by Talkmobile. If the PAC Code has already expired, you'll need to return to step 1 and request a new PAC Code from Talkmobile.
Step 4: Phone Number Transferred (Next Working Day)
As long as you've submitted your PAC Code to Three before 5pm, your phone number transfer will normally be scheduled for the next working day (Monday to Friday only, excluding English bank holidays). After 5pm, you'll need to wait one extra working day for your number to be transferred.
On the day of the transfer, you'll momentarily lose coverage on both mobile networks. When this happens, restart your handset on Three. You should find that the Three phone or SIM card will now associated with your original phone number.
- If you see an error message (e.g. "SIM card registration failed"), this means it's time to restart your phone.
- Once the phone number has been transferred to Three, your account on Talkmobile will automatically be closed. You'll receive a final bill from Talkmobile for any outstanding charges.
Any Other Questions?
In case of any problems during the transfer of your phone number, you should contact your new mobile network (Three) with details of the problem.
If you have any other questions on using a PAC Code, please see my in-depth guide to transferring your phone number between networks. You can also read the comments below from other visitors to this website.