Switching from Lycamobile to giffgaff? It's a straightforward process to keep your existing phone number.
Step 1: Get a PAC Code from Lycamobile
If you’d like to move your phone number from Lycamobile to giffgaff, the first step is getting your Porting Authorisation Code (or PAC Code) from Lycamobile.
There are three ways to get a PAC Code from Lycamobile:
- Online: You can get a PAC Code from Lycamobile by logging in to the Lycamobile Account website. Once you've logged in, go to Account Manager > Leave Lycamobile.
- By Text Message: You can get a Lycamobile PAC Code sent to you via SMS text message. Text PAC to 65075 to receive a PAC Code from Lycamobile.
- By Phone: You can get a PAC Code by calling Lycamobile. To do this, call them on 322 using your Lycamobile handset. Alternatively, dial 020 7132 0322 from any other phone. You'll need to call during Lycamobile's opening hours (Monday-Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday 9am-6pm, Sunday 9am-6pm).
Here are some key things to know:
- A PAC Code is 9 digits long and follows the format ABC 123 456.
- Your PAC Code is valid for 30 days. If you don't use it during this time, the PAC Code will expire and you'll need to request a new one.
- You shouldn't close your account at Lycamobile: it'll be closed automatically when your phone number is transferred to giffgaff.
Don’t want to keep your Lycamobile phone number? You can switch to giffgaff without taking your phone number with you. If you'd like to do this, get a STAC Code from Lycamobile instead.
Lycamobile STAC Code (Leave Lycamobile Without Keeping Your Number)
If you’d like to leave Lycamobile without keeping your phone number, you’ll need to request a STAC Code rather than a PAC Code. There are three ways to get a STAC Code from Lycamobile:
- Online: You can get a STAC Code from Lycamobile by logging in to the Lycamobile Account website. After logging in, go to Account Manager > Leave Lycamobile.
- By Text Message: You can get a Lycamobile STAC Code sent to you via SMS text message. Text STAC to 75075 to receive a STAC Code from Lycamobile.
- By Phone: You can get a STAC Code by calling Lycamobile. Call them on 322 using your Lycamobile handset. Alternatively, dial 020 7132 0322 from any other phone. You'll need to call during Lycamobile's opening hours (Monday-Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday 9am-6pm, Sunday 9am-6pm).
Once you’ve gotten your STAC Code from Lycamobile, the rest of the process for joining giffgaff remains the same.
Step 2: Order your new phone or SIM card from giffgaff's website
You should now order your new phone or SIM card using the giffgaff website. Please select the type of tariff you're intending to move to:
If you're looking for a SIM card from giffgaff, the following deals from £8/month are currently most popular:
For a full list of available tariffs and the latest giffgaff deals, please refer to this page on giffgaff's website.
giffgaff will assign you with a temporary phone number during the transition process. This will allow you to test out the service before you finally transfer your phone number to giffgaff.
Step 3: Give the PAC Code to giffgaff
Once your new phone or SIM card arrives from giffgaff, switch it on and make sure everything's working properly. If, for whatever reason, you need to return or change the handset or SIM card, it's best to do this before transferring your phone number.
Once you're happy to continue with the phone number transfer, contact giffgaff and provide them with your PAC Code from Lycamobile.
Your PAC Code should be entered on giffgaff's online form.
If you have a STAC Code from Lycamobile rather than a PAC Code, this can be provided to giffgaff in the exact same way.
- You must provide the PAC Code to giffgaff within 30 days of it being issued by Lycamobile. If the PAC Code has already expired, you'll need to return to step 1 and request a new PAC Code from Lycamobile.
- Lycamobile Pay As You Go customers: Try to use up your remaining credit as it can't be transferred to giffgaff.
Step 4: Phone Number Transferred (Next Working Day)
As long as you've submitted your PAC Code to giffgaff before 3pm, your phone number transfer will normally be scheduled for the next working day (Monday to Friday only, excluding English bank holidays). After 3pm, you'll need to wait one extra working day for your number to be transferred.
On the day of the transfer, you'll momentarily lose coverage on both mobile networks. When this happens, restart your handset on giffgaff. You should find that the giffgaff phone or SIM card will now associated with your original phone number.
- If you see an error message (e.g. "SIM card registration failed"), this means it's time to restart your phone.
- Once the phone number has been transferred to giffgaff, your account on Lycamobile will automatically be closed. You'll receive a final bill from Lycamobile for any outstanding charges.
Any Other Questions?
In case of any problems during the transfer of your phone number, you should contact your new mobile network (giffgaff) with details of the problem.
If you have any other questions on using a PAC Code, please see my in-depth guide to transferring your phone number between networks. You can also read the comments below from other visitors to this website.