Switching from EE to iD Mobile? It's a straightforward process to keep your existing phone number.
Step 1: Get a PAC Code from EE
If you’d like to move your phone number from EE to iD Mobile, the first step is getting your Porting Authorisation Code (or PAC Code) from EE.
There are three ways to get a PAC Code from EE:
- Online: You can get a PAC Code from EE by logging in to the My EE website. Once you've logged in, go to Menu > Account settings > Leave EE.
- By Text Message: You can get an EE PAC Code sent to you via SMS text message. Text PAC to 65075 to receive a PAC Code from EE.
- By Phone: You can get a PAC Code by calling EE. To do this, call them on 150 using your EE handset. Alternatively, dial 07953 966 250 from any other phone. You'll need to call during EE's opening hours (Monday-Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday 8am-6pm, Sunday 8am-6pm).
Here are some key things to know:
- A PAC Code is 9 digits long and follows the format ABC 123 456.
- Your PAC Code is valid for 30 days. If you don't use it during this time, the PAC Code will expire and you'll need to request a new one.
- You shouldn't close your account at EE: it'll be closed automatically when your phone number is transferred to iD Mobile.
Still in contract with EE? If so, you may need to pay an early exit fee on your bill from EE. To find out how much this would be, text INFO to 87075.
Don’t want to keep your EE phone number? You can switch to iD Mobile without taking your phone number with you. If you'd like to do this, get a STAC Code from EE instead.
EE STAC Code (Leave EE Without Keeping Your Number)
If you’d like to leave EE without keeping your phone number, you’ll need to request a STAC Code rather than a PAC Code. There are three ways to get a STAC Code from EE:
- Online: You can get a STAC Code from EE by logging in to the My EE website. After logging in, go to Menu > Account settings > Leave EE.
- By Text Message: You can get an EE STAC Code sent to you via SMS text message. Text STAC to 75075 to receive a STAC Code from EE.
- By Phone: You can get a STAC Code by calling EE. Call them on 150 using your EE handset. Alternatively, dial 07953 966 250 from any other phone. You'll need to call during EE's opening hours (Monday-Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday 8am-6pm, Sunday 8am-6pm).
Once you’ve gotten your STAC Code from EE, the rest of the process for joining iD Mobile remains the same.
Step 2: Order your new phone or SIM card from iD Mobile's website
You should now order your new phone or SIM card using the iD Mobile website. Please select the type of tariff you're intending to move to:
If you're looking for a SIM card from iD Mobile, the following deals from £6/month are currently most popular:
For a full list of available tariffs and the latest iD Mobile deals, please refer to this page on iD Mobile's website.
Alternatively, if you're getting your iD Mobile plan from a reseller, tap on their logo for more information:
iD Mobile will assign you with a temporary phone number during the transition process. This will allow you to test out the service before you finally transfer your phone number to iD Mobile.
Step 3: Give the PAC Code to iD Mobile
Once your new phone or SIM card arrives from iD Mobile, switch it on and make sure everything's working properly. If, for whatever reason, you need to return or change the handset or SIM card, it's best to do this before transferring your phone number.
Once you're happy to continue with the phone number transfer, contact iD Mobile and provide them with your PAC Code from EE.
Your PAC Code should be entered on iD Mobile's online form. Alternatively, you can give the PAC Code to iD Mobile by calling 7777 on your iD Mobile handset. You can also call 0333 003 7777 from any other phone.
If you have a STAC Code from EE rather than a PAC Code, this can be provided to iD Mobile in the exact same way.
- You must provide the PAC Code to iD Mobile within 30 days of it being issued by EE. If the PAC Code has already expired, you'll need to return to step 1 and request a new PAC Code from EE.
- EE Pay As You Go customers: Try to use up your remaining credit as it can't be transferred to iD Mobile.
Step 4: Phone Number Transferred (Next Working Day)
As long as you've submitted your PAC Code to iD Mobile before 6pm, your phone number transfer will normally be scheduled for the next working day (Monday to Friday only, excluding English bank holidays). After 6pm, you'll need to wait one extra working day for your number to be transferred.
On the day of the transfer, you'll momentarily lose coverage on both mobile networks. When this happens, restart your handset on iD Mobile. You should find that the iD Mobile phone or SIM card will now associated with your original phone number.
- If you see an error message (e.g. "SIM card registration failed"), this means it's time to restart your phone.
- Once the phone number has been transferred to iD Mobile, your account on EE will automatically be closed. You'll receive a final bill from EE for any outstanding charges.
Any Other Questions?
In case of any problems during the transfer of your phone number, you should contact your new mobile network (iD Mobile) with details of the problem.
If you have any other questions on using a PAC Code, please see my in-depth guide to transferring your phone number between networks. You can also read the comments below from other visitors to this website.