Transfer A Phone Number From EE to Three: Step-By-Step Instructions

Switching from EE to Three? It's a straightforward process to keep your existing phone number.


Step 1: Obtain a PAC Code from EE

The first step is to contact EE to obtain your Porting Authorisation Code (PAC Code).

You can get a PAC Code from EE by calling 150 on your EE handset. Alternatively, dial 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

You can request a PAC Code over the phone at any time during EE's opening hours:

Monday - Friday8.00am - 8.00pm
An extended service costing 50p/call is available between 8pm-10pm on weekdays.
Saturday8.00am - 6.00pm
An extended service costing 50p/call is available between 6pm-8pm on the weekend.
Sunday8.00am - 6.00pm
An extended service costing 50p/call is available between 6pm-8pm on the weekend.
  • A PAC Code is 9 digits long and follows the format ABC 123 456.
  • EE must provide a PAC code within 2 hours of your request. If they don't, they must provide a valid reason for why the PAC Code can't be issued. Your right to a PAC code is enshrined within Ofcom's "General Conditions of Entitlement" (May 2015, clause 18).
  • Your PAC Code is valid for 30 days. If you don't use it during this time, the PAC code will expire and you'll need to request a new one.
  • You shouldn't close your account at EE: it'll end automatically when your phone number is transferred to Three.

Step 2: Order your new phone or SIM card from Three's website

You should now order your new phone or SIM card using the Three website. Please select the type of tariff you're intending to move to:

For a full list of available tariffs and the latest Three deals, please refer to this page on Three's website.

Three will assign you with a temporary phone number during the transition process. This will allow you to test out the service before you finally transfer your phone number to Three.

Step 3: Give the PAC Code to Three

Once your new phone or SIM card arrives from Three, switch it on and make sure everything's working properly. If you need to return/replace the new phone or SIM card, please do this before the phone number transfer.

Once you're happy to continue with the phone number transfer, contact Three and provide them with your PAC Code.

Your PAC Code should be entered on Three's online form. Alternatively, you can give the PAC Code to Three by calling 333 on your Three handset. You can also call 0333 338 1001 from any other phone.

Providing your PAC Code to Three

The PAC Code should be submitted through a form on Three's website.

  • You must provide the PAC Code to Three within 30 days of it being issued by EE. If the PAC Code has already expired, you'll need to return to step 1 and request a new PAC Code from EE.
  • EE Pay As You Go customers: Try to use up your remaining credit as it can't be transferred to Three.

Step 4: Phone Number Transferred (Next Working Day)

As long as you've submitted your PAC Code to Three before 5.00pm, your phone number transfer will normally be scheduled for the next working day (Monday to Friday only, excluding English bank holidays). After 5.00pm, you'll need to wait one extra working day for your number to be transferred.

On the day of the transfer, you'll momentarily lose coverage on both mobile networks. When this happens, restart your handset on Three. You should find that the Three phone or SIM card will now associated with your original phone number.

  • If you see an error message (e.g. "SIM card registration failed"), this means it's time to restart your phone.
  • Once the phone number has been transferred to Three, your account on EE will automatically be closed. You'll receive a final bill from EE for any outstanding charges.

Get the Latest Deals from Three »

Any Other Questions?

In case of any problems during the transfer of your phone number, you should contact your new mobile network (Three) with details of the problem.

If you have any other questions on using a PAC Code, please see my in-depth guide to transferring your phone number between networks. You can also read comments from other visitors of this site.

« Full Article: "PAC Codes - How to transfer your mobile number when switching networks"

Like this tip? Get the most from your mobile phone...

  • Discover brand new ways to use your mobile phone
  • Techniques to get more out of your mobile phone for less
  • Be the first to learn about new mobile technology

Enter your email to receive free regular Ken's Tech Tips:

About Ken

Ken Lo

My passion is helping people to get the most out of their mobile phone. I've been blogging at Ken's Tech Tips since 2005.

Aside from writing about mobile technology, my interests are in software development, digital marketing and physics. Outside of the blog, I work with numerous technology companies helping them to explain their product and helping them to market it to consumers. Please get in touch for more information.

Your Comments

We'd love to hear your comments on transferring a phone number from EE to Three. The comments below are from people who've made the same transfer. You can add your own comments here.

To view all 1181 comments about transferring a phone number, please visit the main PAC Code article.

  1. Steve said:

    Hi I have transferred from EE to 3 contract to SIM only and took my old number with me , everything has changed over to my old number after giving 3 PAC code , only problem is anyone with an iPhone is getting txts from my 3 temporary number and when they txt old number it’s only sending as a text message not iMessage ! Any ideas what’s wrong please

    1. Ken replied:

      Hi Steve,
      Thanks for your comment. I believe the information here should help you with regards to fixing iMessage/FaceTime?
      Many thanks,

  2. A said:

    I’ve already ended my contract with EE and have joined three HOW do I get my PAC code from EE

    1. Ken replied:

      Hi there,
      Unfortunately, it’s no longer possible to obtain a PAC Code from EE once your account has been closed. If your account was closed without a PAC Code being actioned, it’s likely the phone number has now been lost. If you like, however, you could contact EE using the details here to ask them whether they’re able to restore your number.

  3. Jack Hutchinson said:

    Hi Ken really glad I found this website it’s really excellent!

    I am currently on EE but living in Northern Ireland my signal indoors is awful!

    I am planning on moving to 3 because of their InTouch wifi SMS and calling app do you have any experience with this app and is it any good? If it is usable it would be a lifesaver.

    Also have you heard about EE doing away with an unlock fee this summer uswitch have mentioned it but I haven’t heard of it anywhere else!

    1. Ken replied:

      Hi Jack,
      Thank you for the kind words and really glad to know the website has been useful! I’m afraid I haven’t had much first-hand experience using the inTouch application so I’d have to refer you to other forums for this!
      With regards to unlocking fees, the government’s digital economy bill recently proposed an end for “charges to unlock phones at the end of contracts across major mobile phone providers”. No word yet on when or whether this will be implemented, but it’s possible it could encourage EE to scrap the unlocking fees earlier.

    2. Kevin Wragg replied:

      If you are with EE and have a mobile phone that supports WiFI calling than EE has this as standard and unlike 3, doesnt need an app to make and receive calls via wifi. Most iPhones and many Samsung support wifi calling

Load more comments (14)

Leave a Reply

E-Mail Notifications: By default, I'll drop you an e-mail when there's a reply to your comment. If you don't want to receive such a notification, please select the "Don't Subscribe" option from the dropdown menu above.