The fifth-generation Moto G5 is available to buy from £119 unlocked. We compare the UK’s cheapest deals for the Moto G5, Moto G5S and Moto G5S Plus.
If you’re looking for an affordable mid-range smartphone, my current recommendation is to buy a handset from the Moto G family. With a solid design and fantastic specifications, the Moto G handsets are priced at just a fraction of the cost of an iPhone 8 or Galaxy S8.
There are four handsets to choose from in the latest generation of the Moto G family. They are the Moto G5, Moto G5S, Moto G5S Plus and Moto G5 Plus. Constructed from high-grade aluminium, the handsets have a premium design along with full-HD displays and a 64-bit octa-core processor.
On the top-of-the-range device, the Moto G5S Plus, you’ll also get dual-camera technology with two 13-megapixel sensors, a larger 5.5-inch display and a powerful Snapdragon 617 processor.
In this article, we’ll look at the best value deals for buying a Moto G smartphone in the UK. We’ll start by looking at the best deals for an unlocked Moto G5, Moto G5S and Moto G5S Plus. We’ll then go on to compare the best value deals on Pay As You Go and on a Pay Monthly contract.
SIM Free & Unlocked
The simplest way to buy a new Moto G is to get it SIM-free from an electronics retailer. As you’re buying a handset that’s already unlocked, you’ll be able to use it on the mobile network of your choice. You can order a free Pay As You Go SIM card to use with the handset or you can take advantage of a low-cost SIM-only deal. Alternatively, you can also stay on your current tariff (just put your existing SIM card into the new Moto G).
Which Moto G5?
There are currently four handsets to choose from in the Moto G5 family:
|Moto G5||5.0″ full HD||13 megapixels||1.4GHz octa-core||16GB||2,800mAh|
|Moto G5S||5.2″ full HD||16 megapixels||1.4GHz octa-core||32GB||3,000mAh|
|Moto G5S Plus||5.5″ full HD||13 megapixels (dual)||2.0GHz octa-core||32GB||3,000mAh|
|Moto G5 Plus||5.2″ full HD||12 megapixels||2.0GHz octa-core||32GB||3,000mAh|
Cheapest Moto G5 Retailers
For a slightly larger screen, a higher-resolution 16 megapixel camera and 32GB of built-in storage, the Moto G5S is available for £189.95 unlocked at Argos.
If you’d like an even bigger 5.5-inch screen with dual-camera technology and the faster Snapdragon 615 processor, the Moto G5S Plus is available to buy at the Carphone Warehouse from £219.99 unlocked.
The Moto G5 is also available at a range of other retailers including Very, Currys, Clove and more:
|Retailer||Moto G5||Moto G5S||Moto G5S Plus||Moto G5 Plus|
|16GB / 3GB||16GB / 2GB||32GB / 3GB||32GB / 3GB||32GB / 3GB|
As well as buying a Moto G smartphone, you may also wish to buy a micro-SD card. This allows you to add up to 256GB of additional storage to your handset. You can buy a 32GB micro-SD card for approximately £12 and a 128GB micro-SD card for approximately £40. For anyone needing even more storage, you can buy a 256GB micro-SD card for approximately £120.
Pay As You Go
If you’d like the regular Moto G5 with 2GB of RAM, you can sometimes save a little bit of money by buying it on Pay As You Go. Here, you’ll be getting a subsidised handset that will sometimes be locked to the mobile network you buy it from. Typically, you’ll need to make a minimum initial top-up of £10 or more when buying a handset on Pay As You Go.
At present, giffgaff has the best price for a regular Moto G5 on Pay As You Go. You can get the Moto G5 with 16GB of storage for an upfront price of just £119. The handset will come with a giffgaff SIM card where a £10 monthly top-up will get you unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and 3GB of internet. The handset will also be provided to you unlocked.
You can also buy the Moto G5 on Pay As You Go from O2 and Tesco Mobile. O2 charges £15 for unlocking (available once you’ve had the handset for more than 12 months). On Tesco Mobile, you’ll be able to unlock the Moto G5 for a fee of £10.
|Mobile Network||Moto G5||Other Moto G5 Handsets|
|16GB / 2GB||32GB / 3GB|
|giffgaff||£119.00||Get it SIM-free and then order a free giffgaff SIM card.|
|O2||£139.00||Get it SIM-free and then order a free O2 SIM card.|
|Tesco Mobile||£159.00||Get it SIM-free and then order a free Tesco SIM card.|
|EE||–||Get it SIM-free and then order a free EE SIM card.|
|Three||–||Get it SIM-free and then order a free Three SIM card.|
|Vodafone||–||Get it SIM-free and then order a free Vodafone SIM card.|
Unfortunately, the Moto G5S, Moto G5S Plus and Moto G5 Plus are not currently available to buy on any Pay As You Go networks. However, you can use any model of the Moto G5 on any Pay As You Go network in the UK by buying it SIM-free and then ordering a free Pay As You Go SIM card.
If you’re looking for a Pay Monthly contract, you can currently get the regular Moto G5 on a 24-month contract from giffgaff, O2 and Tesco Mobile. If you’d like to use the Moto G5S or Moto G5S Plus, or if you’d like to use any other mobile network, you’ll instead need to buy the handset SIM-free and then choose a SIM-only deal.
With 500MB of Data
If you only use mobile internet very occasionally, the Moto G5 is available on entry-level tariffs with 500MB of data per month. For this, you’ll typically pay in the region of £12 to £20 per month:
With 1GB of Data
Realistically, we’d probably recommend choosing a data allowance of at least 1GB per month even for light/occasional users. This reduces the likelihood of you running out of data mid-month and makes it possible to use the internet more regularly on-the-go. For 1GB of data per month, you could pay between £14 and £23 per month:
With 2GB of Data
For regular smartphone users, a 2GB tariff will be much more suitable. The following table shows 24-month contracts with a Moto G5 and with at least 2GB per month:
With 4GB of Data
For heavy data users, the following table shows 24-month contracts with a Moto G5 and with at least 4GB of data per month:
Before ordering a Moto G5 from any of the mobile networks above, it’s strongly recommended you check the coverage in your area. Please select a mobile network to see their online coverage map:
Which Moto G?
Moto G5 vs Moto G5S
In our opinion, the Moto G5S Plus is the handset to choose if you’re willing to fork out the extra cost for it. Key differences between the Moto G5, Moto G5S and Moto G5S Plus include:
- The Moto G5S handsets have a better camera. Whereas the regular Moto G5 has a 13-megapixel camera, the Moto G5S has a 16-megapixel camera. The Moto G5S Plus has dual 13-megapixel cameras (the dual cameras give improved low-light photography and better depth-of-field).
- The Moto G5S handsets have a larger display. Whereas the regular Moto G5 has only a 5.0-inch screen, the Moto G5S has a 5.2-inch screen and the Moto G5S Plus has a 5.5-inch screen.
- The Moto G5S handsets have a larger battery and TurboPower charging. Both the Moto G5S and Moto G5S Plus have 3,000mAh batteries (this is about 7% larger than the 2,800mAh battery on the regular Moto G5). With TurboPower charging, the Moto G5S handsets should also charge a lot faster.
- The Moto G5S handsets has twice as much storage as standard. You’ll get 32GB of internal storage on both the Moto G5S and Moto G5S Plus. In comparison, the regular Moto G5 only includes 16GB of built-in storage. All of the Moto G handsets allow you to add up to 256GB of additional storage through the micro-SD card slot.
- The Moto G5S Plus has a faster processor with more RAM. It has a 2.0GHz octa-core processor (Snapdragon 625), compared to the 1.4GHz octa-core processor (Snapdragon 430) on the regular Moto G5 and Moto G5S. This should give you better performance and a smoother experience.
The following table shows a side-by-side comparison of some of the key differences between the Moto G5, Moto G5S and Moto G5S Plus:
|Motorola Moto G5||Motorola Moto G5S||Motorola Moto G5S Plus|
|Release Date||2017, Mid Range||2017, Mid Range||2017, Mid Range|
|Software||Google Android 7.0||Google Android 7.1||Google Android 7.1|
|Size||5.0-inch display||5.2-inch display||5.5-inch display|
|Resolution||1920x1080 pixels||1920x1080 pixels||1920x1080 pixels|
|Pixel Density||441 pixels per inch||424 pixels per inch||401 pixels per inch|
|Rear Camera||13 megapixels||16 megapixels||13 megapixels|
|Flash||✔ LED flash||✔ LED flash||✔ Dual-LED flash|
|Front Camera||5.0 megapixels||5.0 megapixels||8.0 megapixels|
|Processor||Snapdragon 430||Snapdragon 430||Snapdragon 625|
|Speed||1.4GHz octa-core||1.4GHz octa-core||2.0GHz octa-core|
|External Storage||✔ Up to 256GB micro-SD||✔ Up to 256GB micro-SD||✔ Up to 256GB micro-SD|
|3G Networks||✔ Up to 42Mbit/s||✔ Up to 42Mbit/s||✔ Up to 42Mbit/s|
|SIM Card Type||Nano SIM||Nano SIM||Nano SIM|
Moto G5 vs Moto G4
In March 2017, Motorola released the fifth-generation Moto G5 and Moto G5 Plus. This was followed-up by the release of the Moto G5S and Moto G5S Plus in September 2017. Key differences between the fifth-generation Moto G5 and the fourth-generation Moto G4 include:
- The Moto G5 handsets have a metallic design. The most noticeable difference is a new premium metallic design on the Moto G5 handsets. The fourth-generation handsets had a plastic design, but could be customised through the Moto Maker tool.
- Some of the fifth-generation handsets have a smaller display. Both the Moto G4 and Moto G4 Plus had 5.5-inch displays. Most of the fifth-generation handsets have a slightly smaller screen (5.0-inches on the Moto G5 and 5.2-inches on the Moto G5S & Moto G5 Plus). The Moto G5S Plus has a 5.5-inch screen, as on last year’s Moto G4. Both the fourth-generation and fifth-generation devices have a full-HD (1080p) resolution screen.
- The Moto G5 handsets have an upgraded camera. The Moto G5S Plus gains dual-camera technology whilst the Moto G5 Plus gets Dual Autofocus Pixel technology.
- The regular Moto G5 has a slower processor than the Moto G4. Motorola’s fourth-generation handsets used a mid-to-high-end Snapdragon 617 processor. While the Moto G5 Plus has an upgraded processor in the form of a Snapdragon 625, the regular Moto G5 sees a small downgrade to Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 430 processor.
- Fingerprint sensors are now standard on the Moto G5. Previously, only the Moto G4 Plus had a fingerprint sensor (the regular Moto G4 didn’t have one).
The following table shows a comparison of some key specifications:
|Motorola Moto G5||Motorola Moto G4|
|Release Date||2017, Mid Range||2016, Mid Range|
|Software||Google Android 7.0||Google Android 6.0|
|Size||5.0-inch display||5.5-inch display|
|Resolution||1920x1080 pixels||1920x1080 pixels|
|Pixel Density||441 pixels per inch||401 pixels per inch|
|Rear Camera||13 megapixels||13 megapixels|
|Flash||✔ LED flash||✔ Dual-LED flash|
|Front Camera||5.0 megapixels||5.0 megapixels|
|Processor||Snapdragon 430||Snapdragon 617|
|Speed||1.4GHz octa-core||1.5GHz quad-core &|
|External Storage||✔ Up to 256GB micro-SD||✔ Up to 256GB micro-SD|
|3G Networks||✔ Up to 42Mbit/s||✔ Up to 42Mbit/s|
|SIM Card Type||Nano SIM||Micro SIM|
About the Moto G
The Moto G is Motorola’s family of mid-range Android smartphones.
The Moto G devices are notable for having quality specifications at only a fraction of the price of rival flagship smartphones. For instance, the Moto G5 and Moto G5 Plus have a metallic design and a full-HD screen. This is the same resolution as the screen on the iPhone 8 Plus (a handset that will typically cost you more than three times as much).
Other highlights of the Moto G5 and Moto G5 Plus include the 64-bit Snapdragon octa-core processor and a bloatware-free version of Google’s smartphone operating system, Android 7.0 Nougat.
The following table compares the Moto G5 to the Apple iPhone 8 and Samsung Galaxy S8:
|Motorola Moto G5||Apple iPhone 8||Samsung Galaxy S8|
|Release Date||2017, Mid Range||2017, Flagship||2017, Flagship|
|Software||Google Android 7.0||Apple iOS 11.0||Google Android 7.0|
|Size||5.0-inch display||4.7-inch display||5.8-inch display|
|Resolution||1920x1080 pixels||1334x750 pixels||2960x1440 pixels|
|Pixel Density||441 pixels per inch||326 pixels per inch||570 pixels per inch|
|Rear Camera||13 megapixels||12 megapixels||12 megapixels|
|Flash||✔ LED flash||✔ Quad-LED flash||✔ LED flash|
|Front Camera||5.0 megapixels||7.0 megapixels||8.0 megapixels|
|Processor||Snapdragon 430||Apple A11 Bionic||Exynos 8895 Octa|
|Speed||1.4GHz octa-core||1MHz dual-core &|
|2.3GHz quad-core &|
|External Storage||✔ Up to 256GB micro-SD||✘||✔ Up to 256GB micro-SD|
|Battery||2,800mAh||1,821mAh (14 hours talktime)||3,000mAh|
|3G Networks||✔ Up to 42Mbit/s||✔ Up to 42Mbit/s||✔ Up to 42Mbit/s|
|SIM Card Type||Nano SIM||Nano SIM||Nano SIM|
For more information about the Moto G family, please see the official Motorola website.