The Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro are the latest smartphones from Google. You’ll get a fresh design, an upgraded camera & helpful AI features with the Tensor G3 processor.
Google has just announced their next-generation of Google Pixel smartphones. The Pixel 8 and the Pixel 8 Pro are currently available for pre-order at the Carphone Warehouse, with general availability from the 12th October.
The Pixel 8 comes with Google’s latest AI-powered features, including a ‘Best Take’ feature for your photos and an ‘Audio Magic Eraser’. You can also get help throughout the day with things like automatic web page summaries, call screening, audio transcription, summaries, and more. There are also hardware improvements such as a brighter display and an upgraded camera, with all-day battery life and fast wired and wireless charging.
As a special offer, you can currently get a free pair of Pixel Buds Pro (worth £199) when you order a new Pixel 8 smartphone. Alternatively, you can get a free Pixel Watch 2 (worth £349) when you order the Pixel 8 Pro. This offer is available until the 16th October 2023.
In this article, we’ll review Google’s latest Pixel smartphones, including the features available and the best deals for getting a Pixel 8 in the UK. We’ll also look at the key specifications, and how they compare across the Pixel 8 and the Pixel 8 Pro.
What is the Google Pixel 8?
The Pixel 8 and the Pixel 8 Pro are the newest smartphones to be engineered by Google. Designed to be fast, secure and helpful, they have lots of clever AI-powered features that can save you time and give you better quality photos. You’ll also get a fresh design with a brighter display and advanced camera functionality.
Some of the highlights of the new Pixel 8 smartphones include the following:
- A fresh, modern design. According to Google, the Pixel 8 phones have been “designed with softer silhouettes, beautiful metal finishes and recycled materials”. For instance, you’ll find a satin metal finish and a polished glass back on the Pixel 8.
- A clear display that you can read, even in bright sunlight. The Pixel 8 has a 6.2-inch Actua display with a peak brightness of 2000 nits (that’s 42% brighter than on the Pixel 7). Meanwhile, the Pixel 8 Pro has a larger 6.7-inch Super Actua display with a peak brightness level of 2400 nits. Both displays support an adaptive refresh rate of up to 120Hz for super-smooth scrolling. They also function as always-on displays, allowing you to easily see the current time and your notifications.
- An upgraded camera with advanced functionality. Both the Pixel 8 and the Pixel 8 Pro have very capable cameras. You’ll find a dual-camera system on the Pixel 8, and a triple-camera system on the Pixel 8 Pro. Of particular note, the Pixel 8 Pro has a 50-megapixel main camera, plus a 48-megapixel ultra-wide camera and a 48-megapixel telephoto camera. You’ll also get features like multi-point laser detection auto-focus, optical image stabilisation (OIS), and up to 5x optical zoom. The Pixel 8 Pro also has advanced controls, allowing you to tweak camera settings such as the ISO, shutter speed, and more.
- AI-powered image editing features for the perfect photo. For instance, there’s a new ‘Best Take’ feature that combines multiple photos to create a blended image that highlights everyone’s best look. It’s especially handy when you’re taking a photo of multiple people, each of whom could be blinking or looking away from the camera in a given photo. There’s also a new ‘Magic Editor’ feature that allows you to remove, resize, and reposition objects in your photos. It also allows you to improve the lighting and to change the background in your photos.
- An ‘Audio Magic Eraser’ for clearer sound, without the distractions. Making use of Google’s AI technology, this removes distracting background audio such as traffic noise, sirens and wind from your video.
- Google’s Tensor G3 processor with AI features. Both the Pixel 8 and the Pixel 8 Pro have the latest version of Google’s custom-built Tensor G3 processor. This enables their clever on-device AI-powered features such as automatic summaries of web pages, screening of inbound phone calls to prevent spam, and the automatic transcription & summary of audio recordings. According to Google, the machine learning model on the Pixel 8 phone is ten times more complex than that on the Pixel 6.
- All-day battery life with fast wired & wireless charging. According to Google, the Pixel 8 phones will give you more than 24 hours of battery life on one charge. There’s fast wired charging (up to 30W) and fast wireless charging (up to 23W). There’s also an ‘Extreme Battery Saver’ mode that can extend the battery life of your phone up to 72 hours on one charge.
- 7 years of software updates. According to Google, both the Pixel 8 and the Pixel 8 Pro will receive software updates for the next seven years. It’s an impressive amount of time to support a handset and it will keep your mobile phone feeling fresh and secure. You’ll also get VPN by Google One included, along with automatic car crash detection and Google’s personal safety app.
Best Pixel 8 Deals
Google Pixel 8 128GB (with free Pixel Buds Pro):
- 100GB data on iD Mobile: £28.99 per month plus £9 upfront
- 250GB data on Vodafone: £30 per month plus £99 upfront
- SIM-free: £699
Google Pixel 8 Pro 128GB (with free Pixel Watch 2):
- 100GB data on iD Mobile: £40.99 per month plus £29 upfront
- 250GB data on Vodafone: £45 per month plus £129 upfront
- SIM-free: £999
When you pre-order your Pixel 8 from the Carphone Warehouse, it’ll be delivered by the 12th October 2023. The current promotion where you can get a free Pixel Buds Pro or Pixel Watch 2 is available until the 16th October 2023.
The following table shows the key specifications of the Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro
|Pixel 8||Pixel 8 Pro|
|Best Deal:||£30 per month for 250GB data on Vodafone
(plus £99 upfront)
|£45 per month for 250GB data on Vodafone
(plus £129 upfront)
||Get a Pair of Pixel Buds Pro (usually £199) included||Get a Pixel Watch 2 (usually £349) included|
|Display:||6.2″ Organic LED
(1080×2400 pixels, up to 120Hz & 2000 nits)
|6.7″ Organic LED
(1344×2992 pixels, up to 120Hz & 2400 nits)
|Rear Camera:||Main: 50MP Octa PD f/1.68 (OIS + single-zone LDAF)
Ultra-Wide: 12MP f/2.2
|Main: 50MP Octa PD f/1.68 (OIS + multi-zone LDAF)
Ultra-Wide: 48MP Quad PD f/1.95
Telephoto: 48MP Quad PD f/2.8 (5x optical zoom)
|Front Camera:||10.5MP Dual PD f/2.2||10.5MP Dual PD f/2.2|
|Storage:||128GB / 256GB||128GB / 256GB / 512GB|
|Processor:||Google Tensor G3||Google Tensor G3|
|Battery:||4,575mAh (over 24 hours)||5,050mAh (over 24 hours)|
|Charging:||Fast wired charging (up to 27W)
Wireless charging (up to 18W)
|Fast wired charging (up to 30W)
Wireless charging (up to 23W)
|Dimensions:||151 x 71 x 8.9mm||163 x 77 x 8.8mm|
||Google Pixel 8||Google Pixel 8 Pro|