Switching from Vodafone to BT Mobile? It's a straightforward process to keep your existing phone number.
Step 1: Get a PAC Code from Vodafone
If you’d like to move your phone number from Vodafone to BT Mobile, the first step is getting your Porting Authorisation Code (or PAC Code) from Vodafone.
There are three ways to get a PAC Code from Vodafone:
- Online: You can get a PAC Code from Vodafone by logging in to the My Vodafone website. Once you've logged in, go to Account settings > Mobile switching.
- By Text Message: You can get a Vodafone PAC Code sent to you via SMS text message. Text PAC to 65075 to receive a PAC Code from Vodafone.
- By Phone: You can get a PAC Code by calling Vodafone. To do this, call them on 191 using your Vodafone handset. Alternatively, dial 03333 040 191 from any other phone. You'll need to call during Vodafone's opening hours (Monday-Friday 8am-9pm, Saturday 8am-9pm, Sunday 8am-9pm).
Here are some key things to know:
- A PAC Code is 9 digits long and follows the format ABC 123 456.
- Your PAC Code is valid for 30 days. If you don't use it during this time, the PAC Code will expire and you'll need to request a new one.
- You shouldn't close your account at Vodafone: it'll be closed automatically when your phone number is transferred to BT Mobile.
Still in contract with Vodafone? If so, you may need to pay an early exit fee on your bill from Vodafone. To find out how much this would be, text INFO to 87075.
Don’t want to keep your Vodafone phone number? You can switch to BT Mobile without taking your phone number with you. If you'd like to do this, get a STAC Code from Vodafone instead.
Vodafone STAC Code (Leave Vodafone Without Keeping Your Number)
If you’d like to leave Vodafone without keeping your phone number, you’ll need to request a STAC Code rather than a PAC Code. There are three ways to get a STAC Code from Vodafone:
- Online: You can get a STAC Code from Vodafone by logging in to the My Vodafone website. After logging in, go to Account settings > Mobile switching.
- By Text Message: You can get a Vodafone STAC Code sent to you via SMS text message. Text STAC to 75075 to receive a STAC Code from Vodafone.
- By Phone: You can get a STAC Code by calling Vodafone. Call them on 191 using your Vodafone handset. Alternatively, dial 03333 040 191 from any other phone. You'll need to call during Vodafone's opening hours (Monday-Friday 8am-9pm, Saturday 8am-9pm, Sunday 8am-9pm).
Once you’ve gotten your STAC Code from Vodafone, the rest of the process for joining BT Mobile remains the same.
Step 2: Order your new phone or SIM card from BT Mobile's website
You should now order your new phone or SIM card using the BT Mobile website. Please select the type of tariff you're intending to move to:
If you're looking for a SIM card from BT Mobile, the following deals are currently most popular:
For a full list of available tariffs and the latest BT Mobile deals, please refer to this page on BT Mobile's website.
BT Mobile will assign you with a temporary phone number during the transition process. This will allow you to test out the service before you finally transfer your phone number to BT Mobile.
Step 3: Give the PAC Code to BT Mobile
Once your new phone or SIM card arrives from BT Mobile, switch it on and make sure everything's working properly. If, for whatever reason, you need to return or change the handset or SIM card, it's best to do this before transferring your phone number.
Once you're happy to continue with the phone number transfer, contact BT Mobile and provide them with your PAC Code from Vodafone.
Your PAC Code should be entered on BT Mobile's online form. Alternatively, you can give the PAC Code to BT Mobile by calling 150 on your BT Mobile handset. You can also call 0800 800 150 from any other phone.
If you have a STAC Code from Vodafone rather than a PAC Code, this can be provided to BT Mobile in the exact same way.
- You must provide the PAC Code to BT Mobile within 30 days of it being issued by Vodafone. If the PAC Code has already expired, you'll need to return to step 1 and request a new PAC Code from Vodafone.
- Vodafone Pay As You Go customers: Try to use up your remaining credit as it can't be transferred to BT Mobile.
Step 4: Phone Number Transferred (Next Working Day)
As long as you've submitted your PAC Code to BT Mobile before 3pm, your phone number transfer will normally be scheduled for the next working day (Monday to Friday only, excluding English bank holidays). After 3pm, you'll need to wait one extra working day for your number to be transferred.
On the day of the transfer, you'll momentarily lose coverage on both mobile networks. When this happens, restart your handset on BT Mobile. You should find that the BT Mobile phone or SIM card will now associated with your original phone number.
- If you see an error message (e.g. "SIM card registration failed"), this means it's time to restart your phone.
- Once the phone number has been transferred to BT Mobile, your account on Vodafone will automatically be closed. You'll receive a final bill from Vodafone for any outstanding charges.
Any Other Questions?
In case of any problems during the transfer of your phone number, you should contact your new mobile network (BT Mobile) with details of the problem.
If you have any other questions on using a PAC Code, please see my in-depth guide to transferring your phone number between networks. You can also read the comments below from other visitors to this website.