Switching from iD Mobile to Virgin Mobile? It's a straightforward process to keep your existing phone number.
Step 1: Get a PAC Code from iD Mobile
If you’d like to move your phone number from iD Mobile to Virgin Mobile, the first step is getting your Porting Authorisation Code (or PAC Code) from iD Mobile.
There are three ways to get a PAC Code from iD Mobile:
- Online: You can get a PAC Code from iD Mobile by logging in to the iD Mobile Account website. Once you've logged in, go to My Account > End my plan.
- By Text Message: You can get an iD Mobile PAC Code sent to you via SMS text message. Text PAC followed by your date of birth in DDMMYY format to 65075 to receive a PAC Code from iD Mobile.
- By Phone: You can get a PAC Code by calling iD Mobile. To do this, call them on 7777 using your iD Mobile handset. Alternatively, dial 0333 003 7777 from any other phone. You'll need to call during iD Mobile's opening hours (Monday-Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday 8am-8pm, Sunday 8am-8pm).
Here are some key things to know:
- A PAC Code is 9 digits long and follows the format ABC 123 456.
- Your PAC Code is valid for 30 days. If you don't use it during this time, the PAC Code will expire and you'll need to request a new one.
- You shouldn't close your account at iD Mobile: it'll be closed automatically when your phone number is transferred to Virgin Mobile.
Still in contract with iD Mobile? If so, you may need to pay an early exit fee on your bill from iD Mobile. To find out how much this would be, text INFO followed by your date of birth in DDMMYY format to 87075.
Don’t want to keep your iD Mobile phone number? You can switch to Virgin Mobile without taking your phone number with you. If you'd like to do this, get a STAC Code from iD Mobile instead.
iD Mobile STAC Code (Leave iD Mobile Without Keeping Your Number)
If you’d like to leave iD Mobile without keeping your phone number, you’ll need to request a STAC Code rather than a PAC Code. There are three ways to get a STAC Code from iD Mobile:
- Online: You can get a STAC Code from iD Mobile by logging in to the iD Mobile Account website. After logging in, go to My Account > End my plan.
- By Text Message: You can get an iD Mobile STAC Code sent to you via SMS text message. Text STAC followed by your date of birth in DDMMYY format to 75075 to receive a STAC Code from iD Mobile.
- By Phone: You can get a STAC Code by calling iD Mobile. Call them on 7777 using your iD Mobile handset. Alternatively, dial 0333 003 7777 from any other phone. You'll need to call during iD Mobile's opening hours (Monday-Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday 8am-8pm, Sunday 8am-8pm).
Once you’ve gotten your STAC Code from iD Mobile, the rest of the process for joining Virgin Mobile remains the same.
Step 2: Order your new phone or SIM card from Virgin Mobile's website
You should now order your new phone or SIM card using the Virgin Mobile website. Please select the type of tariff you're intending to move to:
If you're looking for a SIM card from Virgin Mobile, the following deals from £7/month are currently most popular:
For a full list of available tariffs and the latest Virgin Mobile deals, please refer to this page on Virgin Mobile's website.
Alternatively, if you're getting your Virgin Mobile plan from a reseller, tap on their logo for more information:
Virgin Mobile will assign you with a temporary phone number during the transition process. This will allow you to test out the service before you finally transfer your phone number to Virgin Mobile.
Step 3: Give the PAC Code to Virgin Mobile
Once your new phone or SIM card arrives from Virgin Mobile, switch it on and make sure everything's working properly. If, for whatever reason, you need to return or change the handset or SIM card, it's best to do this before transferring your phone number.
Once you're happy to continue with the phone number transfer, contact Virgin Mobile and provide them with your PAC Code from iD Mobile.
Your PAC Code should be entered on Virgin Mobile's online form. Alternatively, you can give the PAC Code to Virgin Mobile by calling 789 on your Virgin Mobile handset. You can also call 0345 6000 789 from any other phone.
If you have a STAC Code from iD Mobile rather than a PAC Code, this can be provided to Virgin Mobile in the exact same way.
- You must provide the PAC Code to Virgin Mobile within 30 days of it being issued by iD Mobile. If the PAC Code has already expired, you'll need to return to step 1 and request a new PAC Code from iD Mobile.
- iD Mobile Pay As You Go customers: Try to use up your remaining credit as it can't be transferred to Virgin Mobile.
Step 4: Phone Number Transferred (Next Working Day)
As long as you've submitted your PAC Code to Virgin Mobile before 6pm, your phone number transfer will normally be scheduled for the next working day (Monday to Friday only, excluding English bank holidays). After 6pm, you'll need to wait one extra working day for your number to be transferred.
On the day of the transfer, you'll momentarily lose coverage on both mobile networks. When this happens, restart your handset on Virgin Mobile. You should find that the Virgin Mobile phone or SIM card will now associated with your original phone number.
- If you see an error message (e.g. "SIM card registration failed"), this means it's time to restart your phone.
- Once the phone number has been transferred to Virgin Mobile, your account on iD Mobile will automatically be closed. You'll receive a final bill from iD Mobile for any outstanding charges.
Get the Latest Deals from Virgin Mobile →
Any Other Questions?
In case of any problems during the transfer of your phone number, you should contact your new mobile network (Virgin Mobile) with details of the problem.
If you have any other questions on using a PAC Code, please see my in-depth guide to transferring your phone number between networks. You can also read the comments below from other visitors to this website.
← Full Article: "PAC Codes - How to transfer your mobile number when switching networks"
Your Comments 1,957 so far
We'd love to hear your comments on transferring a phone number from iD Mobile to Virgin Mobile. The comments below are from people who've made the same transfer. You can add your own comments here.
To view all 1957 comments about transferring a phone number, please visit the main PAC Code article.
My daughter has been with virgin mobile for 4 months now I have taken over the phone and she has a new phone and I have been with I’d my question is can I now ask virgin to keep my old number from my old phone which was with id
Thanks for your comment. Is this simply a matter of transferring your phone number from iD Mobile to Virgin? If so, there shouldn’t be a problem doing this regardless of how long the existing contract on Virgin Mobile has been held.
Hope this helps,