Switching from BT Mobile to Sky Mobile? It's a straightforward process to keep your existing phone number.
Step 1: Get a PAC Code from BT Mobile
If you’d like to move your phone number from BT Mobile to Sky Mobile, the first step is getting your Porting Authorisation Code (or PAC Code) from BT Mobile.
There are three ways to get a PAC Code from BT Mobile:
- Online: You can get a PAC Code from BT Mobile by logging in to the My BT website. Once you've logged in, go to Mobile > Thinking of leaving BT.
- By Text Message: You can get a BT Mobile PAC Code sent to you via SMS text message. Text PAC to 65075 to receive a PAC Code from BT Mobile.
- By Phone: You can get a PAC Code by calling BT Mobile. To do this, call them on 150 using your BT Mobile handset. Alternatively, dial 0800 800 150 from any other phone. You'll need to call during BT Mobile's opening hours (Monday-Friday 8am-9pm, Saturday 8am-8pm, Sunday 9am-6pm).
Here are some key things to know:
- A PAC Code is 9 digits long and follows the format ABC 123 456.
- Your PAC Code is valid for 30 days. If you don't use it during this time, the PAC Code will expire and you'll need to request a new one.
- You shouldn't close your account at BT Mobile: it'll be closed automatically when your phone number is transferred to Sky Mobile.
Still in contract with BT Mobile? If so, you may need to pay an early exit fee on your bill from BT Mobile. To find out how much this would be, text INFO to 87075.
Don’t want to keep your BT Mobile phone number? You can switch to Sky Mobile without taking your phone number with you. If you'd like to do this, get a STAC Code from BT Mobile instead.
BT Mobile STAC Code (Leave BT Mobile Without Keeping Your Number)
If you’d like to leave BT Mobile without keeping your phone number, you’ll need to request a STAC Code rather than a PAC Code. There are three ways to get a STAC Code from BT Mobile:
- Online: You can get a STAC Code from BT Mobile by logging in to the My BT website. After logging in, go to Mobile > Thinking of leaving BT.
- By Text Message: You can get a BT Mobile STAC Code sent to you via SMS text message. Text STAC to 75075 to receive a STAC Code from BT Mobile.
- By Phone: You can get a STAC Code by calling BT Mobile. Call them on 150 using your BT Mobile handset. Alternatively, dial 0800 800 150 from any other phone. You'll need to call during BT Mobile's opening hours (Monday-Friday 8am-9pm, Saturday 8am-8pm, Sunday 9am-6pm).
Once you’ve gotten your STAC Code from BT Mobile, the rest of the process for joining Sky Mobile remains the same.
Step 2: Order your new phone or SIM card from Sky Mobile's website
You should now order your new phone or SIM card using the Sky Mobile website. Please select the type of tariff you're intending to move to:
If you're looking for a SIM card from Sky Mobile, the following deals from £6/month are currently most popular:
For a full list of available tariffs and the latest Sky Mobile deals, please refer to this page on Sky Mobile's website.
Sky Mobile will assign you with a temporary phone number during the transition process. This will allow you to test out the service before you finally transfer your phone number to Sky Mobile.
Step 3: Give the PAC Code to Sky Mobile
Once your new phone or SIM card arrives from Sky Mobile, switch it on and make sure everything's working properly. If, for whatever reason, you need to return or change the handset or SIM card, it's best to do this before transferring your phone number.
Once you're happy to continue with the phone number transfer, contact Sky Mobile and provide them with your PAC Code from BT Mobile.
Your PAC Code should be entered on Sky Mobile's online form. Alternatively, you can give the PAC Code to Sky Mobile by calling 03300 412 524 on your Sky Mobile handset. You can also call 03300 412 524 from any other phone.
If you have a STAC Code from BT Mobile rather than a PAC Code, this can be provided to Sky Mobile in the exact same way.
- You must provide the PAC Code to Sky Mobile within 30 days of it being issued by BT Mobile. If the PAC Code has already expired, you'll need to return to step 1 and request a new PAC Code from BT Mobile.
Step 4: Phone Number Transferred (Next Working Day)
As long as you've submitted your PAC Code to Sky Mobile before 5pm, your phone number transfer will normally be scheduled for the next working day (Monday to Friday only, excluding English bank holidays). After 5pm, you'll need to wait one extra working day for your number to be transferred.
On the day of the transfer, you'll momentarily lose coverage on both mobile networks. When this happens, restart your handset on Sky Mobile. You should find that the Sky Mobile phone or SIM card will now associated with your original phone number.
- If you see an error message (e.g. "SIM card registration failed"), this means it's time to restart your phone.
- Once the phone number has been transferred to Sky Mobile, your account on BT Mobile will automatically be closed. You'll receive a final bill from BT Mobile for any outstanding charges.
Any Other Questions?
In case of any problems during the transfer of your phone number, you should contact your new mobile network (Sky Mobile) with details of the problem.
If you have any other questions on using a PAC Code, please see my in-depth guide to transferring your phone number between networks. You can also read the comments below from other visitors to this website.