Switching from ASDA Mobile to Tesco Mobile? It's a straightforward process to keep your existing phone number.
Step 1: Get a PAC Code from ASDA Mobile
If you’d like to move your phone number from ASDA Mobile to Tesco Mobile, the first step is getting your Porting Authorisation Code (or PAC Code) from ASDA Mobile.
There are three ways to get a PAC Code from ASDA Mobile:
- Online: You can get a PAC Code from ASDA Mobile by logging in to the ASDA Mobile website.
- By Text Message: You can get an ASDA Mobile PAC Code sent to you via SMS text message. Text PAC to 65075 to receive a PAC Code from ASDA Mobile.
- By Phone: You can get a PAC Code by calling ASDA Mobile. To do this, call them on 2732 using your ASDA Mobile handset. Alternatively, dial 0808 006 2732 from any other phone. You'll need to call during ASDA Mobile's opening hours (Monday-Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday 9am-5.45pm, Sunday 10am-4.45pm).
Here are some key things to know:
- A PAC Code is 9 digits long and follows the format ABC 123 456.
- Your PAC Code is valid for 30 days. If you don't use it during this time, the PAC Code will expire and you'll need to request a new one.
- You shouldn't close your account at ASDA Mobile: it'll be closed automatically when your phone number is transferred to Tesco Mobile.
Don’t want to keep your ASDA Mobile phone number? You can switch to Tesco Mobile without taking your phone number with you. If you'd like to do this, get a STAC Code from ASDA Mobile instead.
ASDA Mobile STAC Code (Leave ASDA Mobile Without Keeping Your Number)
If you’d like to leave ASDA Mobile without keeping your phone number, you’ll need to request a STAC Code rather than a PAC Code. There are three ways to get a STAC Code from ASDA Mobile:
- Online: You can get a STAC Code from ASDA Mobile by logging in to the ASDA Mobile website.
- By Text Message: You can get an ASDA Mobile STAC Code sent to you via SMS text message. Text STAC to 75075 to receive a STAC Code from ASDA Mobile.
- By Phone: You can get a STAC Code by calling ASDA Mobile. Call them on 2732 using your ASDA Mobile handset. Alternatively, dial 0808 006 2732 from any other phone. You'll need to call during ASDA Mobile's opening hours (Monday-Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday 9am-5.45pm, Sunday 10am-4.45pm).
Once you’ve gotten your STAC Code from ASDA Mobile, the rest of the process for joining Tesco Mobile remains the same.
Step 2: Order your new phone or SIM card from Tesco Mobile's website
You should now order your new phone or SIM card using the Tesco Mobile website. Please select the type of tariff you're intending to move to:
If you're looking for a SIM card from Tesco Mobile, the following deals from £7.50/month are currently most popular:
For a full list of available tariffs and the latest Tesco Mobile deals, please refer to this page on Tesco Mobile's website.
Tesco Mobile will assign you with a temporary phone number during the transition process. This will allow you to test out the service before you finally transfer your phone number to Tesco Mobile.
Step 3: Give the PAC Code to Tesco Mobile
Once your new phone or SIM card arrives from Tesco Mobile, switch it on and make sure everything's working properly. If, for whatever reason, you need to return or change the handset or SIM card, it's best to do this before transferring your phone number.
Once you're happy to continue with the phone number transfer, contact Tesco Mobile and provide them with your PAC Code from ASDA Mobile.
Your PAC Code should be entered on Tesco Mobile's online form. Alternatively, you can give the PAC Code to Tesco Mobile by calling 4455 on your Tesco Mobile handset. You can also call 0345 301 4455 from any other phone.
If you have a STAC Code from ASDA Mobile rather than a PAC Code, this can be provided to Tesco Mobile in the exact same way.
- You must provide the PAC Code to Tesco Mobile within 30 days of it being issued by ASDA Mobile. If the PAC Code has already expired, you'll need to return to step 1 and request a new PAC Code from ASDA Mobile.
- ASDA Mobile Pay As You Go customers: Try to use up your remaining credit as it can't be transferred to Tesco Mobile.
Step 4: Phone Number Transferred (Next Working Day)
Once you've provided a PAC code to Tesco Mobile, your phone number transfer will normally be scheduled for the next working day (Monday to Friday only, excluding English bank holidays).
On the day of the transfer, you'll momentarily lose coverage on both mobile networks. When this happens, restart your handset on Tesco Mobile. You should find that the Tesco Mobile phone or SIM card will now associated with your original phone number.
- If you see an error message (e.g. "SIM card registration failed"), this means it's time to restart your phone.
- Once the phone number has been transferred to Tesco Mobile, your account on ASDA Mobile will automatically be closed. You'll receive a final bill from ASDA Mobile for any outstanding charges.
Any Other Questions?
In case of any problems during the transfer of your phone number, you should contact your new mobile network (Tesco Mobile) with details of the problem.
If you have any other questions on using a PAC Code, please see my in-depth guide to transferring your phone number between networks. You can also read the comments below from other visitors to this website.