Transfer A Phone Number From Vodafone to Virgin Mobile: Step-By-Step Instructions
Switching from Vodafone to Virgin Mobile? It's a straightforward process to keep your existing phone number.
Step 1: Obtain a PAC Code from Vodafone
The first step is to contact Vodafone to obtain your Porting Authorisation Code (PAC Code).
You can get a PAC Code from Vodafone by calling 191 on your Vodafone handset. Alternatively, dial 03333 040 191 from any other phone.
You can request a PAC Code over the phone at any time during Vodafone's opening hours:
|Monday - Friday||8.00am - 9.00pm|
|Saturday||8.00am - 9.00pm|
|Sunday||8.00am - 9.00pm|
- A PAC Code is 9 digits long and follows the format ABC 123 456.
- Vodafone must provide a PAC code within 2 hours of your request. If they don't, they must provide a valid reason for why the PAC Code can't be issued. Your right to a PAC code is enshrined within Ofcom's "General Conditions of Entitlement" (May 2015, clause 18).
- Your PAC Code is valid for 30 days. If you don't use it during this time, the PAC code will expire and you'll need to request a new one.
- You shouldn't close your account at Vodafone: it'll end automatically when your phone number is transferred to Virgin Mobile.
Step 2: Order your new phone or SIM card from Virgin Mobile's website
You should now order your new phone or SIM card using the Virgin Mobile website. Please select the type of tariff you're intending to move to:
For a full list of available tariffs and the latest Virgin Mobile deals, please refer to this page on Virgin Mobile's website.
Virgin Mobile will assign you with a temporary phone number during the transition process. This will allow you to test out the service before you finally transfer your phone number to Virgin Mobile.
Step 3: Give the PAC Code to Virgin Mobile
Once your new phone or SIM card arrives from Virgin Mobile, switch it on and make sure everything's working properly. If you need to return/replace the new phone or SIM card, please do this before the phone number transfer.
Once you're happy to continue with the phone number transfer, contact Virgin Mobile and provide them with your PAC Code.
You can give the PAC Code to Virgin Mobile by calling 789 on your Virgin Mobile handset. You can also call 0345 6000 789 from any other phone.
- You must provide the PAC Code to Virgin Mobile within 30 days of it being issued by Vodafone. If the PAC Code has already expired, you'll need to return to step 1 and request a new PAC Code from Vodafone.
- Vodafone Pay As You Go customers: Try to use up your remaining credit as it can't be transferred to Virgin Mobile.
Step 4: Phone Number Transferred (Next Working Day)
As long as you've submitted your PAC Code to Virgin Mobile before 6.00pm, your phone number transfer will normally be scheduled for the next working day (Monday to Friday only, excluding English bank holidays). After 6.00pm, you'll need to wait one extra working day for your number to be transferred.
On the day of the transfer, you'll momentarily lose coverage on both mobile networks. When this happens, restart your handset on Virgin Mobile. You should find that the Virgin Mobile phone or SIM card will now associated with your original phone number.
- If you see an error message (e.g. "SIM card registration failed"), this means it's time to restart your phone.
- Once the phone number has been transferred to Virgin Mobile, your account on Vodafone will automatically be closed. You'll receive a final bill from Vodafone for any outstanding charges.
Any Other Questions?
In case of any problems during the transfer of your phone number, you should contact your new mobile network (Virgin Mobile) with details of the problem.
My passion is helping people to get the most out of their mobile phone. I've been blogging at Ken's Tech Tips since 2005.
Aside from writing about mobile technology, my interests are in software development, digital marketing and physics. Outside of the blog, I work with numerous technology companies helping them to explain their product and helping them to market it to consumers. Please get in touch for more information.